Instant Messaging and Chat Rooms
Instant Messaging (IM)
- Communicate only with people on your Contact List.
- Use a screen name that doesn't give away any sensitive information.
- Control your children's access to IM.
- Do not provide sensitive information (credit card number, Social Security
Number, passwords, address) about yourself in an IM conversation. Instant
Messages are not encrypted, so they are easy targets for hackers.
- Do not agree to meet an unfamiliar person you came into contact with on
IM. You can never know who that person really is.
- Do not download or accept files from people you don't know.
- Do not send your screen name online. People might find it and use it to
send you unsolicited Instant Messages.
- Do not send private Instant Messages at work, your boss may be entitled
to view them.
- Check the terms, conditions and privacy statements of the chat site before you begin chatting.
- Use a chat nickname that doesn't give away any sensitive information.
- Do not give out personal information in a chat room.
- Do not agree to meet in person someone you've talked to in a Chat Room.