Home Fraud Schemes Types of Malware Do's and Don't's If You're a Victim Articles FAQ's Protect Yourself Security Software Online Resources Glossary Get involved Contact us

Follow @security4web

If your child is a victim:

  • Report a Cyber Crime to Cyber Watch 911
  • Report child sexual abuse to : The National Center for the Prosecution of Child Sexual Abuse - 703-739-0321
  • Report Internet obscenity or a porn spam at: http://www.obscenitycrimes.org
  • Report child pornography or children sexual exploitation to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: http://www.cybertipline.com, or call at:
  • Report child pornography at the US Customs Service at 1-800-BE-ALERT, or online: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov
  • Report child abuse to the local FBI offices in major cities.
  • File a complaint with the FTC at www.ftc.gov or call the toll-free number: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261.

Important note!
Downloading or making a copy of child pornography for any reason (even to provide it as evidence to law enforcement authorities) is a crime in the United States. If you run across something that seems child pornography, please record the website address (URL) and report it to law enforcement authorities.

If you are a victim of Identity Theft:
  1. Contact the fraud departments of one of the three major credit bureaus and report that your identity has been stolen.They have a toll-free number.

    Equifax: P.O. Box 105069, Atlanta, GA 30348.
    Report fraud: Call (800) 525-6285
    Order credit report: (800) 685-1111.
    TDD: (800) 255-0056
    Web: www.equifax.com

    Experian (formerly TRW): P.O. Box 9532 Allen, TX 75013.
    Report fraud: Call (888) EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)
    Order credit report: (888) EXPERIAN.
    TDD: Use relay to fraud number above.
    Web: www.experian.com

    TransUnion: P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834.
    Report fraud: (800) 680-7289
    Order credit report: (800) 888-4213.
    TDD: (877) 553-7803
    E-mail (fraud victims only): [email protected]
    Web: www.transunion.com

  2. File a report with the local police where identity theft took place. Ask for a copy of the report so that you can provide proof of the theft to the organizations that you will have to contact later. If you can't get a copy, at least get the report number.

  3. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.
  • call the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline: toll-free 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338); TDD: 202-326-2502
  • or write: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580

If your checks have been stolen, lost or opened fraudulently, contact the following check verification companies:

TeleCheck — 1-800-710-9898 or 927-0188
Certegy, Inc. — 1-800-437-5120
International Check Services — 1-800-631-9656
Call SCAN (1-800-262-7771) to find out if the identity thief has been passing bad checks in your name.
CheckRite: (800) 766-2748
Chexsystems: (800) 428-9623
CheckCenter/CrossCheck: (800) 843-0760

If you are a victim of Internet Auction Fraud:
  1. File a complaint to the Internet auction company. To submit an Online Fraud Complaint at eBay use eBay's fraud protection Program.
  2. Notify your local police and the authorities where the perpetrator's originates.
  3. File a complaint with the shipper.
  4. File a complaint with one of the three major bureaus (IFCC recommends BBB).
  5. If you are a resident of the United Stated, you can file the complaint to the Attorney General's office in your state. To find out more, you can visit the National Association of Attorneys General.

If you are a victim of Credit Card Fraud:
  1. Contact the issuer(s) immediately. Most credit card companies have toll-free numbers and 24-hour service to deal with emergencies.
  2. Contact the law enforcement authorities

According to US law, once you have reported the loss or theft of your credit card(s), you have no more responsibility for unauthorized charges. Further, your maximum liability under federal US law is of $50 per credit card. There are credit card issuers that waive this fee for devoted customers.


To verify a possible hoax, check out the Department of Energy's Computer Incident Advisory Capability website.

If you received or suspect to have received a scam:
  • Report it to the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC), a site partnership site between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center
  • Report it to ITRC at: [email protected]. They will forward it to the FBI and let you know if it is a confirmed scam.

To verify a scam:
  • Contact the company involved in the scam using a customer service number you may find in the phone book. Verify the company before responding the email. Even if you suspect to have received a scam, do not reply the email asking the company to never contact you again.
  • Contact the FBI at www.ifccfbi.gov or your local State Attorney General's office
  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 877-FTC HELP or write them at: [email protected]


You can submit complaints online at www.ftc.gov ("File a Complaint" link in the top menu ) and forward unwanted commercial email to the FTC at [email protected].
You can also forward phishing attempts to [email protected]us-cert.gov.

If you are not a resident of the United States, you can find a very good list of local authorities at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. This will help you get started in fighting SPAM.


Home :: Internet Fraud Schemes :: Do's and Don't's :: What To Do if You're a Victim :: Articles
Frequently Asked Questions :: Protect Yourself :: Freeware Security Software :: Online Resources :: Glossary :: Get Involved

© 2004 - 2020, Security4Web, Inc.         Disclaimer | Privacy Policy